“No Man’s life liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session”.

- attributed to NY State Judge Gideon Tucker



Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Two Of My Friends Are Voting For The Wrong Candidate

It's incredible to me that two friends of mine, both now living in Chicagoland, are voting for their rookie Senator in this Presidential campaign.

There reasons have floored me.

One of them sees the past eight years as disastrous, and simply ignores his home state Senator's lack of any meaningful life accomplishment.

Being in advertising, he is, it seems, all too close to the mainstream liberal media, as well as the sense that nothing in politics really matters.

When I told him that the looming Frisco Nan-Harry Reid-Obama troika would make FDR look like a conservative, he didn't really get it.

I think he's going to get it, financially, sooner than he realizes. His own impending, rising tax liability escaped him.

My other Chicago-area friend's main grip against McCain is that he is a Republican. She blames that party for having a stance on religion and abortion, i.e., for tending to express a belief in God, and being pro-life, rather than advocating the murder of unborn children.

From this basis, she reasons that no Republican is worthy of her vote. Yet, ironically, she claims to be for smaller government.

She reconciles her vote for the junior Illinois Senator as voting against the guy whose party is willing to speak out on religion, morals and abortion.

When I explained to her how liberal the unholy troika will be, she surprised me. First, she expressed her distaste for Frisco Nan. Then for Reid.

Then she told me I was wrong, and everything would be okay. The three liberals together would be centrist. She's certain of it.

Oy!

How can America function as a reasoned Republic when educated, otherwise-intelligent people like these two friends of mine simply take leave of their senses and plan to vote for idiocy?

1 comment:

Cathy Pearl said...

My answer to your question is: I have absolutely no idea. It's completely depressing.