“No Man’s life liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session”.

- attributed to NY State Judge Gideon Tucker



Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rick Perry's Part-Time Congress Concept

I find Rick Perry's 'part-time Congress' idea to be a little too goofy to take seriously.

Texas isn't the United States, doesn't have a standing army, navy or air force, or embassies abroad. Back in the early 1800s, before the US was a world power, and communications were poor, a part-time legislature, both at the state and federal levels, was basically just reality.

But once America came into the 1900s, and the government, post-Civil War, had, for good or bad, Constitutionally or not, swollen in size and responsibility, it became unrealistic for Congress to only serve part of every year or term.

But one idea Perry has echoes my own- cut Congressional staffs. I don't know what details he proposed- probably none, knowing Perry.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it was even one of my 10 things I'd do to reform government.

But I believe I advocated only two aides per Representative or Senator. And no compensating budget to hire temps or consultants.

I want members of Congress themselves writing bills- not their hired, degree-heavy, detail-crazy, bribable staffs.

That's what I want...a lean Congress without staffs and coddlers, full of members who actually do all the work themselves.

Then, as the subheading of this blog suggests, we'll be a bit safer because those 435 elected members simply won't have the time and ability to write so much intrusive legislation that affects the rest of us and gives them such ongoing power.

No comments: